Thursday, March 19, 2009

KEEPING AN EYE ON THE BALL
I've been clicking away. Imagine, I invest in a camera for the purpose of doing storyboards, and I have yet to get a gig -- oh, wait, that sounds like whining. Where was I? Oh, yeah, so I've been doing portraits of the lovely wife -- some serious, some fun. Frankly, I'm thankful I didn't take up photography as a profession. The competition there is more fierce than in illustration. Sure, anyone can do both, but illustrating well takes far more work than pressing a shutter-button. Okay, okay, it requires technical knowledge and a good sense of aesthetics to compose a shot well, but frankly, given the budget for the right equipment and the time to play around a bit, I suspect I could get up to speed rather quickly in photography. That may only be so because I'm bringing my illustration skills to the table when shooting pics. However, if I were a photographer, I doubt the move into illustration would be just as easy. I'm not here debating the merits of one over the other, but merely noting that the competition is fiercer in photography because the learning-curve isn't quite as steep. At this point I've angered serious photographers, so I'll be quiet now. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home